Udvidet præteritum funktioner
Udvidet præteritum (past continuous) beskriver handlinger eller begivenheder, som er foregået før nu, som begyndte i fortiden og stadig foregår, når vi snakker om dem. Med andre ord udtrykker dem en uafsluttet eller ufuldstændig handling i fortiden.
- Ofte til at beskrive baggrunden i en historie skrevet i præteritum, fx "The sun was shining and the birds were singing as the elephant came out of the jungle. The other animals were relaxing in the shade of the trees, but the elephant moved very quickly. She was looking for her baby, and she didn't notice the hunter who was watching her through his binoculars. When the shot rang out, she was running towards the river..."
- til at beskrive en uafsluttet handling, der er blevet afbrudt af en anden begivenhed eller handling, fx "I was having a beautiful dream when the alarm clock rang."
- til at udtrykke en ændret mening, fx "I was going to spend the day at the beach but I've decided to get my homework done instead."
- med 'wonder' til at komme med en høflig forespørgsel, fx "I was wondering if you could baby-sit for me tonight."
- They were waiting for the bus when the accident happened.
- Caroline was skiing when she broke her leg.
- When we arrived he was having a bath.
- When the fire started I was watching television.
Bemærk: vi bruger præteritum med udsagnsord, der normalt ikke bruges i udvidet (continuous) form.
Dannelse af udvidet præteritum
Udsagnsord i udvidet præteritum dannes af to elementer: en datidsform af udsagnsordet "to be" (was/were) og stammen af hovedudsagnsordet +ing.
|Grundled||was/were||stammen + ing|
To play, udvidet præteritum
|I was playing||I was not playing||Was I playing?|
|You were playing||You were not playing||Were you playing?|
|He was playing||He wasn't playing||Was he playing?|
|We were playing||We weren't playing||Were we playing?|
|They were playing||They weren't playing||Were they playing?|