Udvidet førdatid funktioner
Udvidet førdatid (past perfect continuous) svarer til udvidet førnutid (present perfect continuous), men den henviser til noge, som er foregået tidligere end 'før nu'. Ligesom med udvidet førnutid, er vi mere interesserede i selve processsen.
- Had you been waiting long before the taxi arrived?
- We had been trying to open the door for five minutes when Jane found her key.
- It had been raining hard for several hours and the streets were very wet.
- Her friends had been thinking of calling the police when she walked in.
Denne form bruges også til indirekte tale. Den svarer til udvidet præteritum (past continuous) og udvidet førnutid (present perfect continuous) i direkte tale:
- Jane said, "I have been gardening all afternoon." = Jane said she had been gardening all afternoon.
- When the police questioned him, John said, "I was working late in the office that night." = When the police questioned him, John told them he had been working late in the office that night.
Dannelse af udvidet førdatid
Udvidet førdatid består af to elementer - førdatidsformen af udsagnsordet to be (=had been) + hovedudsagnsordet i lang tillægsform (stammen+ing).
|Grundled||had been||udsagnsord + ing|
To buy, udvidet førdatid
|I had been buying||I hadn't been buying||Had I been buying?|
|You had been buying||You hadn't been buying||Had you been buying?|
|She had been buying||She hadn't been buying||Had she been buying?|
|We had been buying||We hadn't been buying||Had we been buying?|
|They had been buying||They hadn't been buying||Had they been buying?|